Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Yam Puff


For years this has been a "for sure" when planning the holiday menus. The Puff is light and creamy with a crisp topping and "just" a hint of sweet.

The recipe in the Best of Bridge Cookbooks makes it with Turnips which I also really like but several years ago, I began to substitute Yams for the turnips and the leftovers if there are any .. are a valued commodity.

First of all I buy three or four medium sized Yams. I wrap them in foil and bake them at 350 F for an hour or until very done. I slide a sharp knife into the largest one to ensure it is soft enough to mash.

The recipe calls for 6 cups cubed Turnips. .I roughly scrape the yams into a measuring bowl to make 6 cups.


  • 6 cups Yams or Turnips

  • 2 tablespoons Butter

  • 2 eggs . . beaten

  • 3 tablespoons flour

  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar

  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

  • salt and pepper to taste

  • pinch nutmeg. . .optional. . I don't add this to the Yam puff

  • 1/2 cup of bread crumbs. . .I use Panko

  • 2 tablespoons Butter melted

After the Yam has been measured. . .mash it really well with a potato masher.


Add the butter and eggs. Beat well. . .(this can be done the day ahead and wrapped and kept cold)


Combine the flour, sugar, Baking Powder, salt, pepper and Nutmeg.


Stir into the Yam. . .or Turnips


Butter a flat casserole dish and spread the Yam/Turnip mixture into the pan.


Combine the crumbs and butter and sprinkle over the Yam/Turnips


Bake at 375 for about 1/2 hour. . .or until lightly browned. . .I leave mine in for closer to 45.

No comments:

Post a Comment