Search This Blog

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Homemade Hot Dog Buns

A few weeks ago we planned to have a wiener roast and I got to thinking that I used to make homemade hot dog buns for our wiener roasts and so went on a search for the recipe. I didn't find my original recipe but found one on allrecipes.com that seemed similar. I changed it up a bit.
Can also be used to make hamburger buns.

Homemade Hot Dog Buns

1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 cups white flour
2 cups whole wheat flour(recipe called for just white flour)
1 tbsp instant yeast
2 tbsp white sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg

Heat milk, water and butter until very warm.
In a large bowl mix 1 3/4 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Mix milk mixture into the flour mix and then mix in the egg. Stir in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time beating well after each addition.
When the dough has pulled together, turn it out into a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. I did this all in my Braun...that handy little thing!!
Divide dough into 16 equal pieces..recipe called for 12 but it was stated that they were pretty big and 16 was suggested, which I did and they were the right size.
With rolling pin roll and shape each piece into a 6x4" rectangle. Starting with the longer side roll up tightly and pinch edges and ends to seal. I didn't pinch the ends and they were okay. As you can see on the pic that mine didn't look perfect..should we say rustic, maybe??
Place on greased baking sheet and let rise 20 to 25 min.
Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 min until golden brown.

Here the wieners are roasting.. turning black just the way I like them!
Oh my they were so good..add a few veggies, chips and rice salad (which I posted some time ago) and dig in! I love wiener roasts and hope to have a few more before the snow flies. Actually it is quite fun to have winter wiener roasts too...then you don't mind cozying right up to the fire!

No comments:

Post a Comment