Search This Blog

Friday, October 10, 2008

Yam Casserole

I recently saw an article about the confusion between yams and sweet potatoes. According to this article yams are white on the inside and sweet potatoes are orange. If this is true, I've been calling this casserole by the wrong name. .. or changed the recipe. The signs in the grocery store agreed with what I thought was a yam, and so did the fellow who has worked in the produce department at Safeway for a very long time. So, about the article? If anyone else saw it . . . I’m talking about the pinky/orange yams . . . I mean potatoes. =)

Ingredients:
10 - 12 small yams, peeled and cut crosswise 1/2 inch thick
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 Tbsp. butter
1/2 – 1 cup walnuts
1 small bag miniature marshmallows

Arrange half the yam slices in a glass baking dish. Mix sugar, salt and pepper, then sprinkle half of it on the yams. Dot with half the butter, cut in small pieces. Arrange remaining yams and top with the rest of the sugar and butter. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400F for 30 min. Sprinkle with walnuts and continue baking another 30 - 45 min. or until yams are soft. Five minutes before serving, remove foil, cover with mini marshmallows and bake uncovered until golden. The original recipe calls for more sugar and butter, so if you like more juice (it turns out quite sweet), you can add according to personal preferences. This dish goes very well with turkey, roasted chicken or pork.

After posting this recipe, I actually found the old original recipe which I cut out of a magazine in about 1996. I can't tell which magazine it is, but to my surprise the recipe is called sweet potato casserole and they are orange on the picture!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment