Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Frosted Pumpkin Donuts

I bought a number of pumpkins from a pumpkin farm last week. I baked and pureed them...there is nothing like fresh pureed pumkin! I baked pumpkin pies for our Thanksgiving dinner and I still had pureed pumpkin left so I was looking for something else to make.

Frosted Pumpkin Donuts

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp softened butter
I cup cooked pureed pumpkin (fresh or from a can)
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 cups white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup evaporated milk(I used skim milk)
Oil for deep frying

In a mixing bowl beat eggs, sugar and butter. Add pumpkin and lemon juice, mix well. Combine flour, b powder, b soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and add to pumkin mixture alternately with milk.
Cover and put in fridge for 2 hours. Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead 5 or 6 times. I needed extra flour to roll out the dough. Roll to 3/8" thickness and cut with a donut cutter.
In deep fryer or skillet ( I used my wok) heat oil to 375 degrees..I test to see if it's hot enough by putting a 'donut hole' in the oil and if that rises to the top immediately you know the oil is hot enough. Fry donuts, a few at a time until golden, about 3 min, turn once and remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels to soak up excess oil.

I didn't use the frosting recipe that comes with the donut recipe, I was looking for a frosting with pumpkin puree and found one at http://www.foodnetwork.com/ I only made half of the recipe as I wasn't planning on frosting all of the donuts.

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting

4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup cooked pumpkin puree
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg, I also added 1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 orange zested, I omitted this as I didn't have an orange in the house.
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup icing sugar

Beat cream cheese, pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, orange zest and vanilla together with a hand mixer at med speed. Add in icing sugar and beat until frosting is fluffy.

Once donuts are cooled spread frosting on them. Some I frosted and sprinkled with crisp gingersnap cookie crumbs, some I coated with a sugar/cinnamon mixture and some I left plain.
Crushed peanuts or toffee bits sprinkled on the frosted donuts would also be very good.
These donuts taste amazing and I will definetly be making them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment