Search This Blog

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Pilgrim Pie


I am having good fun going through some old cookbooks which were left for me. Sometimes older, yellow and dogeared papers slip from between the pages; handwritten recipes tucked away - perhaps shared between parishioners after a church supper. Today's post is from one such faded page. I certainly don't remember my mom making this pie but it sounded just tooooo good not to try. (This tastes like the 'fresh' version of mincemeat.) There was no name written on the handwritten page and I'm not sure where it originated. Perhaps many versions of Pilgrim Pie exist 'out there' but this was a first for me and it was easy and fun to make. It certainly was a timely find just before Thanksgiving.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 1/2 cups seedless raisins
  • 1 1/3 finally chopped apples
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
  • 3/4 cup jellied cranberry sauce; crushed
  • 1 tbsp grated orange peel
  • 2 tsp grated lemon peel
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt, cloves, ginger
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Bake in 2 - 9 inch pastry shells - 35 min in 350 oven.

As this blog is a tried and true site...I can say that this recipe is now tried AND true...and enjoyed by my family for probably countless times ahead. I might add; this 'fresh' filling, which is really like a mincemeat, is so tasty...why buy it preserved?

No comments:

Post a Comment