Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Rührei

Mennonite Scrambled Eggs...Rührei is what we called them when I was a kid. This was never a breakfast meal at our place...but rather a quick lunch or supper. I'd all but forgotten about them until yesterday when I was looking through the fridge to see what I could fix in no time flat...and rührei came to mind. This is a creamy version of scrambled eggs...rather like a cross between an omelet and a pancake. It pairs well with ham or sausage...sprinkled with freshly ground pepper and served with salsa for a little zip.

 

Rührei

  • 6 Tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons butter 
  1. Mix flour and milk into a smooth paste.
  2. Add eggs and salt and mix well into a thin batter.
  3. Melt butter in frying pan over medium heat.
  4. Pour in egg mixture.
  5. Cut and stir with spatula until completely cooked through...and until golden brown if desired.
  6. Serve hot. 
Somewhere through the years I decided I no longer needed my cast iron frying pan. What was I thinking? I have missed it often...and it didn't seem quite right making ruhrei in a T-Fal pan!

Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment