Search This Blog

Friday, June 27, 2008

Black Beans and Rice Salad


I think one of the most healthy times of my life was when I turned 'vegetarian' and stayed that way for about five years. Since that time I have reintroduced some very lean meats into my diet but I do go through phases of non-meat. Here is a simply scrumptious cold 'salad' or main dish with all the protein that you need in a meal.

INGREDIENTS

2 cups drained cooked black beans
3 cups cooked brown rice

2 celery stalks, finely chopped

1/4 cup sliced Spanish olives

DRESSING

1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup chopped scallions

1 - 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (Oh I love that fresh cilantro!)

1/2 cup orange juice

1 1/2 tbsp cider vinegar

3 tbsp olive oil

2 tsp grated orange peel

2 tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 tsp cinnamon
and salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup chopped toasted
walnuts and cilantro or parsley leaves to decorate


Combine the drained beans with the rice, celery and Spanish olives. In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients, then pour over the beans and rice mixture. Stir thoroughly. top with roasted walnuts and cilantro or parsley.


Serve with a cold corn or mango salsa for a complimentary color and taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment