Search This Blog

Monday, June 9, 2008

Rollkuchen

What's a Mennonite cookbook without a recipe for rollkuchen?

Rollkuchen are a tasty, deep fried pastry that are a wonderful accompaniment to cold watermelon on a hot summer day. And since I recently posted this recipe over at My Front Porch...I thought I'd share it here as well.

How well I recall childhood picnics with big tubs of fresh rollkuchen...and let's just say they are sort of like eating peanuts (you can't eat just one). Somewhere through the years, rollkuchen became paired with Roger's Golden Syrup (definitely a Canadian thing) on my table...they make a great team!

My mother-in-law made the best flaky, crispy rollkuchen....her recipe was very similar to the one posted by Lovella last summer. Mine never quite measured up...I have always made the thicker, softer variety and they have become a family favorite. Hers were all uniform in shape...mine are rather 'free-form'. Each recipe seems to differ slightly...but I've never met a rollkcuhen I didn't like!

Rollkuchen

1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk
4 eggs
5 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Beat eggs, sour cream and milk together.

Add to dry ingredients...continue to add flour to form a soft dough.

Allow dough to stand in the fridge for at least two hours.


Divide the dough in half & roll out quite thin on a floured board...
if you prefer them soft, then not quite so thin.

Cut strips of dough about 2 inches by 4 inches...
with two slits cut in centre of each.


Fry in deep hot oil (over medium heat) until golden on one side...
turn and brown the other side.

The dough is quite pliable, so I usually stretch it as much as possible before dropping it into the pan.

The rollkuchen puff up beautifully while cooking and are really mostly air pockets by the time they are ready to eat...a totally a healthy choice!

Who am I fooling?

Serve with cold watermelon....
and Roger's golden syrup....
and some bbq'd farmer sausage is a nice touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment