Search This Blog

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Porcupine Meatballs


I'm all about simple when it comes to a good hearty supper for the family after a long work day. I think everyone in my family carried on my mother's recipe into their own homes. Simple but yummy!


Ingredients:

2 cans tomato soup or 1 pint tomato juice
1 lb lean ground beef
1 minced onion
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 egg
2 slices of bread soaked in milk (I use oatmeal every chance I get - whole or run through a food processor)
salt and pepper to taste (I use NO SALT)


Bring soup or juice in large pot over medium heat to a light boil (You may need to add some beef or chicken broth later if it gets to thick so keep one can handy)


Mix ground beef, rice, egg, minced onion and bread (oatmeal) together.

Form meatballs the size of a quarter (these WILL expand with the rice and bread/oatmeal. Drop in one at a time into the lightly boiling tomato base. Cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes or until the beef is cooked through. You may need to add some moisture if the rice in the meatballs absorb too much of the juice. I usually add a bit of chicken broth if necessary.

Serve over mashed potatoes with a light salad and veggie. (Okay, the sauerkraut HAD to make a picture eventually.)


No comments:

Post a Comment