Search This Blog

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Turkey Borscht

I am putting up a recipe that I have over in my blog. . .
I have Zwieback rising. . and I thought you might need some borscht to go with that. I can well imagine that this is one of a few borscht recipes that will be posted on this blog. This Mennonite blog cookbook will be like many church cookbooks that you have in your cookbook collection. Everyone puts in the recipe they use.
For this borscht recipe I used a turkey carcass after a good part of the meat was removed. You may use some beef bones or even cut up whole chicken. . .
I put the carcass in a large pot.
I just barely covered it with water.
I brought it to a boil and then simmered it for several hours.
I removed the bones . .let them cool a bit . ..removed the turkey meat and added that back to the pot.
I made little bag of spices. (using cheesecloth)
1 teaspoon of pepper corns
5 cloves
1 star aniseed
1 bay leaf
4 allspice
1 teaspoon chili flakes ( we like a bit of spice)
I wrapped these in cheesecloth and tied it with kitchen string and added it to the pot.
I also added
1/2 teaspoon of maggi seasoning sauce
I let that simmer for half an hour.
I added
3/4 cup of brown rice
1 small bag of ready made cut coleslaw cabbage .. .add more if you like lots of cabbage
5 diced carrots
You could leave out the rice and add potatoes
I let this simmer for another half hour.
I added
one can of tomato soup
I handful of fresh dill
salt to taste . .I added about 1 teaspoon.
I simmered it until dinner was served an hour later.
Have a wonderful day my friends.
I'm off to put my zwieback on pans. .. .

No comments:

Post a Comment