Search This Blog

Friday, July 11, 2008

BBQ'd Beef-on-a-Bun

If the guys in your life are wondering "where's the beef?"...here it is!
I was at a women's conference some twenty years ago...and attended a cooking workshop. The facilitator was Joyce R...and she left me with some wonderful recipes that I've made my own since that time. One of our family favorites is the BBQ'd Beef. I remember Joyce telling us they had just served it at a western themed wedding reception...with potato salad and coleslaw as side-dishes. I have brought it to potlucks...camping trips...and it was our dinner at the beach a few nights ago.

BBQ'd Beef

5 steaks (any kind)
1 28 oz. can tomatoes

Cook in slow cooker overnight (about 10 hours) on low.
Drain juices and shred the cooked beef with two forks.

Sauce

1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup water
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup vinegar
3 tbsp. packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. parsley flakes
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne

Sauté onion & celery until tender.
Add remaining sauce ingredients and heat through.
Add shredded beef and simmer for about 1 hour. (I return meat and sauce to slow cooker until serving time.)
Serve on submarine or beef-dip buns.

The original recipe calls for five steaks...I use any beef I have handy. I often cut up large roasts...and if my crockpot is chock-full, I make slightly more of the sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment