Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tomato Soup Cake


This is an old recipe I thought my mom had made up...I've just been making it so long. Much to my delight I found out Betty r makes this too and I am assuming then that a lot of you do. In fact, a scrounge through my old Mennonite Cookbook shows that it is indeed in there...the one which is almost identical to the one I use was submitted by Mrs. Anna Buhler, Niverville, Manitoba in the 1977 (21st printing) of the Mennonite Treasury of Recipes.

INGREDIENTS

1/3 cup butter

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

2 cups flour

1/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp baking pwd
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon ( I always more cinnamon )
1 tsp allspice (I often substitute cardamon instead)
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tin tomato soup
1/2 cup chopped nuts

1 cup raisins


Mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy...add eggs. Sift together the dry ingredients and add slowly until well mixed. Add the tomato soup, nuts and raisins. Bake in greased pan in 350 oven for 45 to 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment