Search This Blog

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Yum, Yum....Apple Buns

If you have never made apple buns you are in for a real treat. My girlfriend's mother used to make them all the time and I had forgotten about them until I saw a recipe in a magazine recently. I dug up the two recipes and compared them...then came up with my own version for the day. As I had left over filling for Judy's perishky I decided to use her bun recipe for both. I modified the bun recipe using 1/3 of the flour as whole wheat flour. It turned out lovely although the dough for apple buns is usually a little more pastry like. So...for your decision...I'll leave you with both the original recipe for the dough and Judy's perishky recipe which works equally as fine.

Apple Filling:
8 - 10 apples...I used four which was ample for 1/3 Judy's recipe


You can make this filling a day before...it is not complicated. Peel and core the apples. (I don't have an apple corer so I had to chop in half to core. Place each apple in the cup of a muffin tin or you can arrange them in a baking pan that has sides. Bake them in a 350 oven for 45 minutes.
Chop finely and set in fridge in a covered container . Don't be tempted to add cinnamon and sugar. Truly the apple bakes into a sweetness that is sufficient for taste and is much healthier this way.

Make Dough: I used Judy's ...Here is the recipe for a more pastry like bun.


1 cup warm water, divided
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tbsp instant yeast
1/2 cup of melted salted butter
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp salt (way too much in my opinion)
and 4 to 5 cups of flour (again...I prefer a healthy bun with some whole wheat mixed in)

In a small bowl dissolve 1 tsp sugar in 1/2 cup of the warm water. Sprinkle yeast over top. Set it aside. In a large mixing bowl combine the butter and remaining water and milk. Add the rest of the sugar, 1 egg and your salt and beat it well. Blend in the yeast mixture and slowly add the rest of the flour until it pulls away from the side of the bowl. Continue until it forms a ball and and then cover the dough in the bowl with a plastic wrap and let it rise for about 15 to 20 minutes. Punch it down...cover and let it rise again...about three times.


Pinch off dough into a small walnut size round. (Okay a bit smaller than that one...that was a pic of a pinch of the regular bun size :)
Flatten roughly in hand to a circle about two to three inches in diameter.
Place some of the apple filling in it and fold over sides...pinching the bottom to close.
Place, pinched side down on lightly greased baking sheet to bake for about 20 minutes.


Remove buns from oven and pan and place on a cooling rack

Enjoy the absolutely wonderful flavour of apples in a bun.

Of course...I made Judy's meat perishky as well. And I had enough dough left so that I could make a few extra plain brown bread buns for ham and cheese sandwichs for the week ahead. YUM!...Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment