Search This Blog

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Rhubarb Orange Almond Cake

This delightful cake caught my eye a couple of months ago in the spring/summer issue of Appeal Magazine put out by Save-On Foods. I knew then that it would be a perfect birthday cake for my husband...whose birthday it is today! As I was not familiar with the recipe I did not change a single thing. Therefore all the credit goes to the magazine EXCEPT for the photos...which were a HUGE hit as a slide show in my home this afternoon while anticipating the cake later on.

4 stalks fresh rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
(okay I DID change something...
I only had frozen rhubarb so that would be about four cups that I used.)
1 cup granulated sugar - later divided into two
1/2 cup butter at room temp.

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup all-purpose four (I used unbleached)
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup ground almonds
Finely grated peel of 1 small orange, plus 2 Tbsp juice

1/4 cup blanched sliced almonds.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9" springform pan and line the base with parchment paper. Place the rhubarb in a bowl and cover with 1/4 cup of the sugar. Let stand while you prepare the cake batter. Mix butter and remaining 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs and beat well.

In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients. Gently fold the dry mixture into the butter mixture. Stir in the orange peel and juice. Sitr the sugared rhubarb into the cake batter and spoon into prepared springform pan. Spread batter evenly in pan; sprinkle the top with the sliced almonds. Bake cake for 25 minutes. Then reduce the oven temp to 350 degrees and bake another 20 - 25 minutes or until the cake is FIRM!!!!

Let cool in pan for at least ten minutes....slide knife along inner sides of edge of springform pan. Remove edge of pan. Serve warm or cold with a dollop of whipped or ice cream!!! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment