Search This Blog

Monday, July 7, 2008

Perishky

Our extended family is still blessed to have someone who regularly supplies us with these tasty little “pies-in-a-pocket.” I consider it another one of those “labor of love” recipes, and have gladly pretended that I could never make them, but I’m beginning to think that one day I may change my mind, because they will remind me of the most beautiful woman in my life . . . my Mom. The funny thing is that she will never just make enough for the family gathering, but enough so that grandkids can take home “the leftovers.” One thing she keeps saying is, not to put them in a sealed container (except for in the freezer), because they will get soft.
Since I had my hands free for most of the observation, I was able to get lots of pictures, and now have a hard time choosing what is necessary for explanatory’s sake and what is merely “ornamental.” If this gets too long to print, feel free to click on my name on the sidebar (on the contributor list) and email me. I don't mind sending you the recipe in “words only."

Ingredients:

3 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c shortening
1/2 c margarine
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk

Filling:
4 cups blueberries or finely chopped fruit such as apples and/or rhubarb.
2 cups sugar mixed with ¼ c flour and ¼ c cornstarch if using apples
OR ¾ c thickening mix (cornstarch and flour) if using berries.

Method:
1. Cut shortening into dry ingredients with pastry blender.
2. Add combined beaten egg and liquids. Stir with fork until everything is moist. If dough is too moist, sprinkle with a handful of flour and knead gently (or turn, up and over to mix in dry crumbs from the bottom, using a firm spatula) until dough holds together nicely.
3. Refrigerate overnight or a few hours.
4. Divide dough in half and roll out to a square or rectangle (approx 16” x 16”) so that you can cut about 12 – 16 square patches.


5. Sprinkle about 1 tsp of sugar mixture in the center of each square, top with fruit and another 1-2 tsp of sugar mixture on top of fruit. Brush edges of pastry with water.

6. Fold up corners and pinch edges very well.
7. Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheets, not too close together.
8. Bake at 400F about 20 minutes. (you can freeze the unbaked Perishky and bake later; bake frozen Perishky a little longer)

The ones that ran out are likely the ones that I pinched. No worries . . . parchment paper allows for easy removal of your baked product and easy clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment