Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Em's Rice Salad

Em's Rice Salad
1 1/2 cups long grained rice (short grain is fine too, matter of preference)
6 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
4 cups miniature marshmallows
1 398 ml (14oz) can of fruit cocktail
1 398 ml (14 oz) can pineapple tidbits or crushed if you prefer
1 pint whipping cream, whipped
1 tsp vanilla ( I use Mexican vanilla)
Bring rice, salt and 6 cups of water to boil in a covered pot, stir once, cover again and let simmer for 18 min.
Drain and rinse rice with hot water in colander and let drip. Put rice in large bowl together with the sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Let sit in fridge for 6 hours.
Just before serving I add some fresh fruit like strawberries, grapes, blueberries, etc. Not necessary but it sure makes the salad look pretty!
I got this recipe from my good friend Em. The credit goes to her! ( hey Em I know you're checking this blog.. I have changed up your recipe somewhat) My Mom loved this rice salad and she would always ask me to bring it to every family gathering. It is a large recipe so make sure it's shared!
Some of our family prefers to eat it as a dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment