Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Baked Caramel Corn

I make Caramel Corn every year for Christmas. It is great for snacks! Use cellophane bags or festive tins and you have a great gift to give. This recipe is found in the 'Carillon Festive Food Recipes' cookbook.

Baked Caramel Corn
First of all I got out my trusty old popper and popped up some popcorn. You will need:
24 cups of popped corn
2 cups of shelled peanuts..I didn't have any in the house this time but usually do add them..next batch!!)
In a 2 qt saucepan melt:
1 cup butter
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
Bring to boil stirring constantly, turn heat down to med heat and boil 5 min without stirring.
Remove from heat and stir in:
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
This will bubble up..gradually pour over the popped corn, mixing well. Put in 2 large shallow pans, I have a large bakery size pan that fits my oven exactly so I use that.
Bake at 250 oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 min.
Remove from oven and cool completely. Break apart and store in airtight containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment