Search This Blog

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Whatchagot Soup


I asked my husband what name I should give to the soup I made today. When I told him what ingredients I'd used he came up with the above name. It suits because there are lots of variations to this recipe which depend on "whatchagot" handy. Here goes:
Crumble up 1/2 a link of smoked farmer sausage
or
brown 1 lb. hamburger

Get out your soup pot or dutch oven and put in:
1 tbsp. oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion chopped
1 large stalk celery, chopped
1/2 each green pepper and red pepper, chopped
(or a yellow or orange pepper)
1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely shredded
Saute' about 7 minutes.

Add:
the farmer sausage or hamburger
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained or lentils
1 can baked beans
1 can corn
1 can tomato soup or tomato sauce
3-4 cups water

Stir well and add your spices. I added:
1 Tbsp. Chili powder
2 tsp. Basil
1 - 2 tsp. Montreal Steak Spice
1 tsp. Paprika
Cook until vegetables are cooked and flavours are blended - about 45 minutes, adding 1 small zucchini coarsely shredded about 10 minutes before it's done.
Garnish with cheddar cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment