Search This Blog

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Christmas Cranberry Cookies

This recipe has been handed down from my beloved's grandmother. It is a Christmas favorite! I usually bake up this recipe more than once before Christmas. I always bake the first batch when we have our first snowfall and that happened this weekend. I make these cookies fairly large then cut them in half to serve. Those instructions were also handed down as my mother in law used to say 'they taste the best when they are large.' Although the second batch I make are smaller. I make up cookie plates to give away at Christmas so all the cookies I bake for that have to be smaller or there wouldn't be room for variety! I've had many requests for this recipe.
And now it's time for coffee and a cookie...

Cranberry Cookies
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup lard, I use Tenderflake
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 lemon, juice and rind
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
6 cups flour (plus flour for rolling)

Cranberry filling:

3 cups cranberries(340g/12oz bag)

1 cup sugar

3/4 cup water

Boil water and sugar for 5 min, add cranberries and boil gently till cranberries pop, approx another 5 min. I cooked them a few minutes longer. This recipe can be found on the bag of cranberries, the only thing I change is the amount of water. You won't need all this filling for the cookies but I like to cook the whole amount at once and either use it up for other recipes or eat as a side with chicken or turkey. Keeps in the fridge for a few weeks.

Cream butter, lard and sugar. Add eggs, beat well then blend in sour cream and finely grated rind of the lemon. Add baking soda to the juice of the lemon and mix into dough. The juice will foam once the soda is mixed in. Mix flour and baking powder and stir that into the dough. The dough will still be sticky but that is how it should be. Cover bowl and refrigerate at least one hour. You can refrigerate overnight if you wish. Roll out dough to approx 1/8", cut with a round cookie cutter placing approx a tsp of cranberry filling in the middle of one round, place another cookie round on top and pinch the dough around the cookie with your thumb and finger to seal in the filling. Place on baking sheet and bake at 375 for 12 to 15 min. or until light golden in color.

Let cool and ice cookies with almond flavoured icing, then dip into angel flaked coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment