Search This Blog

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Harvest Brown Bread

Tucked into the bread section of my Mennonite Treasury Cookbook...is a stained and worn piece of paper with the recipe for our family favorite brown bread. I got it from a friend in the late seventies...and is simply known as Ruth P's brown bread. I often wonder what happened to Ruth...one of those people who was part of my life for a time...and who I haven't heard from in twenty years. But I think of her whenever I bake her bread...and hope things have gone well for her and her family.


Harvest Brown Bread

2 Tablespoons fast rising yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup warm water

1 Tablespoon salt
1 large tablespoon honey
4 cups warm water
2 cups rye flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups white flour
1/2 cup oil
1 cup sunflower seeds, raw and shelled

  • Prepare yeast mixture by dissolving sugar in lukewarm water...add yeast and let stand ten minutes.
  • In large bowl, dissolve salt and honey in warm water...add yeast mixture.
  • Mix together the three types of flour. Add flour slowly to mixture in bowl and beat well.
  • Add oil and sunflower seeds.
  • Knead in enough white flour to make dough smooth and elastic.

  • Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until light.

  • Punch down and form loaves. Let rise until doubled in bulk.
  • Bake at 375F for 30 minutes.
  • Yield 4 medium loaves
I gave you the recipe as it is written...but since I have used my Bosch machine to mix bread all these years, my methods and amounts differ slightly. I usually do one-and-a-half times the recipe...and make a few little loaves for the grandkids.


No comments:

Post a Comment