Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Seven Layer Salad


I can't remember who it was...but someone noted this salad in a post this past summer. I remember throwing out the question...what is a seven layer salad?! Like Char's Rumaki....I had never heard of it. As Christmas potlucks are filling my calendar I thought ... Hmmmm...what can I take that I can eat and eat and not feel toooo guilty about. Salad of course. Well...I looked up this salad and I am not sure it is totally guilt free but....I know I will have seconds of this salad. Just look at the ingredients! Every recipe I found had so many different ways of making it and all looked good. I settled on a combination of layers that appealed to me to try out tonight. I am thinking I am going to get kudos for this from my guys!


INGREDIENTS:
(Remember substitutions are just as good - let your inner salad side out!)
  • Lettuce torn into bite size pieces (Romaine, Iceberg, Red and/or layer with Spinach)
  • 1 cup celery thinly sliced
  • (1/2 cup mushrooms thinly sliced - if using spinach)
  • 1/2 cup red or green peppers thinly sliced (or not if you don't like them - they DO add colour)
  • 1/4 cup green onion chopped (or use thinly sliced red onion for fantastic colour and crunch)
  • 10 slices of bacon - cooked crisp and chopped (you can use chopped ham instead - as you wish - if you wish to keep it meatless use sliced hard boiled egg, especially tasty with spinach)
  • 1-10 oz package of frozen peas (defrosted but not cooked)
  • 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups mayo (you all know by now that I love Hellamans light but you can use your fav.)
  • 2 tsp sugar

  • What to do:
    Use a clear glass trifle dish or deep salad bowl....layers should be visible

    First layer - lettuce or spinach to cover bottom of bowl
    Next- layer the celery or mushrooms
    Next - layer peppers
    Next - layer the bacon, ham or meat substitute
    Next - layer the peas
    Next - combine the mayo and sugar...spread evenly over all.
    Next - top with grated cheese.
Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours but overnight is better.
Toss only just before serving.
It is sooooo delish you will make it again the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment