Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Calzones

Are you making buns today? Then save a bit of the dough at the end for these homemade and healthy version of Calzones. A colleague of mine suggested this simple recipe that her mother used to make with leftover dough. I am sure there are many recipes out there...this is one she shared with me and I just put it together with Judy's perishky recipe for buns which I was making anyway.

Ingredients:

Dough - as per Judy's Perishky Buns (or dough of your choice)

Tomato Filling:
Of course this depends on how much you want to make. This made enough for 12 large calzone - large bun size.
  • 3 fresh tomatoes (chopped fine)
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • sprigs of fresh basil chopped fine (what? none in the house? I didn't have any today either so I used the handy dandy Pesto Genovese sauce I had made earlier and which sits frozen in the freezer
  • shredded mozzarella
  • asiago cheese
  • fresh ground pepper and salt
  • garlic if you wish
  • pepperoni if you wish (sliced)
  • 4 tbsp tomato paste

Heat olive oil in saucepan. Add pesto or basil. Add chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper and garlic if you are using. Saute till tomatoes are limp. Drain. Add 4 tbsp tomato paste. Stir on low till thick. Add more paste if necessary. Let cool.

Pinch off dough in size of 1/2 fist. Spread out into oblong shape. Put filling on one side. Add pepperoni (a few) and scatter some mozz and asiago - not too full. Fold up other side. Pinch in semi-circle. Bake as per bun instruction. (My colleague's mother used to deep fry these...that would be good too. They are equally as good though baked I think.)

Teenager tested and approved in the test kitchen!
Enjoy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment