Search This Blog

Friday, November 7, 2008

Best Gluten-Free Bread




Bread !! The one thing I never thought I could live without!
I used to joke that if ever I was put on a bread and water diet, I wouldn't suffer a bit!!!
But alas... I found out I was Celiac... and that the bread and water diet could kill me!

So I looked and looked for a gluten-free bread!

I VERY quickly found out that the taste, the texture, the smell, the GLUTEN could NOT be duplicated.... and I finally just resolved to live without bread... the gluten-free 'bread' was not worth the exercise of slicing !
UNTIL !
I discovered white bean flour... which is a little hard to get but some shops that carry gluten-free flours will order it in for you ! Or you can order it on-line from Bob's Red Mill.

And yes.. it passes my litmus test ! Non-Celiacs like it ! My daughter's mother-in-law said it tasted just like the bread her mother used to make !



So if you are Celiac or are baking for a Celiac, I am soo happy to share my recipe !

Ingredients for White Bean Flour Bread
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp. molasses
  • 2 rounded tsp. zanthan gum
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup white bean flour
  • 1 cup Kinnikinnik bread/bun mix (or 1 cup brown rice flour)
  • 1/2 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 pkg reg. yeast or 1 tbsp.
  • optional - add 1/2 cup of raw sunflower seeds

Method

In heavy duty mixer beat eggs slightly , then add other wet ingredients.

Sift together dry ingredients and then add to the liquid, beating hard for about a minute . You will see the batter change and become smooth . (Constancy needs to be right.. batter that is too thick will not rise .. too thin it will rise and then fall. If it looks like a too-thick cake batter then it is probably just about right !)

While you are mixing the dough, you will smell the 'bean' flour... but this is the only time. When it is baking or you are eating it , it has a very 'whole-wheat' bread smell and taste!

This recipe makes one regular size loaf, but since I have a daughter who is also Celiac I divided the dough into two mid-size pans so I have a loaf for each of us.

I line the bottom of the pans with wax paper and lightly oil the pans. Gluten-free baking tends to stick more than regular wheat flour.



To rise I put the pans in the oven with the oven light on....and cover the pans with a towel.
Let rise for about an hour until loaves round over the top of the pan.
Bake for 45 minutes at 350' - or until tops are nicely browned - do not underbake.
This bread keeps well, also freezes well and after the first day is good toasted !

(I adapted this recipe from Bob's Red Mill recipe for bean bread in a bread machine)

PS. Karen asked some good questions in her comment and I thought I would just post the answers here for others who might wonder the same questions !

YES! this bread is great for French toast.... as you can see here......
"have a bite and see!"

This bread stays soft on the counter for several days.. and after toasting does NOT turn to cardboard or cement !

and Yes.. you can use it in casseroles or in your hamburger patties mix if you are used to adding bread, or make your own croutons.

No comments:

Post a Comment