Search This Blog

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Spicy Chicken Chili with Chorizo Sausage

I've been making this chili since I was first married. I kind of thought of it as a 'everything but the kitchen sink' recipe that my good friend made and I adopted. This past weekend I had to 'clear' the fridge of items as I am out of town for a few days...and I wanted to make a few meals 'ahead' for those who stayed behind. Then I remembered this 'ol standby. To help my memory I found a similar recipe on Group Recipes.

Hot and spicy...as spicy as you want to make it..this is a hearty, pleasing to serve chili. Serve with cornbread or tortillas, a side of sour cream and a crisp green salad!!

Ingredients:

  • 1 onion (or more - no rules here) chopped
  • 6 - 8 cloves of garlic finely chopped (if you are not fond of garlic you can cut back on that :)
  • 1 tbsp cumin (or more...of course...I did more)
  • 4 tbsp chili pwd
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • fresh parsley chopped (I only had dried and I can attest that it will do)
  • salt and pepper
  • oil for frying - 4 tbsp or so
  • 1 red bell pepper chopped
  • 1 yellow/orange bell pepper chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper chopped
  • 4 deboned chicken breasts (it is best to use the chicken breast meat but you could use thigh...I know I did during those lean student days...but not as good as it does not hold its shape) chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 4 hot chorizo sausages- sliced
  • 1 can kernel corn, drained
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes, NOT drained
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste

Place first 11 ingredients in a large saucepan that will hold a big chili feast! Saute until chicken looks nearly cooked through. Add remaining ingredients. Add enough paste to thicken.

You can tell from this recipe that there is a lot of opportunity to change it up. .... different beans, fresh tomatoes etc. Don't lose that interesting combination though, of the sausage and chicken. That is what makes it unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment